The region is located on the northern end of the south island, nestled around the town of Blenheim, and for many years was a sheep region. It was Montana wines, who in 1973 planted the first vines in the region “too far south to grow good wine.” At the time the region was the southernmost region in the country, but nowadays Central Otago takes south to a whole new level.
Plenty of sunshine hours, relatively low rainfall and cool temperatures provide the perfect conditions for growing world-class Sauvignon Blanc the region is renowned for. Other whites grown include Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewürztraminer and Sparkling wines. Pinot Noir dominates the red varieties grown, though is typically lighter bodied than Central Otago or Martinborough Pinots.
- Exclusively produced for United Cellars by Luke Miller, carefully selected from a single vineyard site in the Awatere Valley. Bright aromatics of tropical fruits, lemon grass & chalky minerality. A full mouthfeel, with zesty acidity carrying tropical & citrus flavours to a ... Learn More
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. Mouth-watering & intensely flavoured, with notes of passion-fruit, feijoa, lime & capsicum. A pure, terroir driven ... Learn MoreUC SELECTIONS SAUVIGNON BLANC BY REBECCA SALMOND 2018NZ$19.99 Per item
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. Perfumed with bright raspberry, blackberry & cherry fruit that leads to a full, fragrant palate. ... Learn More
- Certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. The fruit was carefully selected from 3 different terroirs on the property and aged for 3 months on lees. Immediately refreshing and smooth, with flavours of apricot, ... Learn More
- One of the world's noble grape varietals, grown in the Wairau River Valley. Classic ripe Chenin Blanc notes on the nose of vanilla custard, lemon curd, ripe green apple, lemon blossom and a hint of biscuity lees character. The taste; ... Learn More
- The classic Spanish white varietal with a NZ twist. Vibrant acidity, white peach, winter cole pear, apricots and quince, with an orange zest undertone. It’s full and textural, yet refreshing and nicely balanced, with drying minerality to finish. ... Learn More
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstars Matt & Sophie Thomson. A hand picked, single-vineyard wine with ripe tropical-fruit flavours, showing excellent delicacy and depth. The nose is elegant with finely concentrated, deeply penetrating aromas of pungent passionfruit ... Learn MoreUC SELECTIONS SAUVIGNON BLANC BY MATT THOMSON 2019NZ$24.99 Per item
- A youthful, fresh & fruit forward Pinot Noir. Certified organic, biobynamic & hand picked fruit from Marlborough. Carefully curated by the Bourgeois family in Sancerre. Smooth, silky and lightly textured, with flavours of cherry cola, cranberry and dried herbs. ... Learn More
- Clos Herni's flagship wine, certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. Aged on lees for 8 months, only 10% seeing French oak, this wine retains great freshness & tension. Complex and layered with flavours of ... Learn More
Proudly supporting local winemakers- treat yourself to these exclusive drops from winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. "From one vintage to the next, Rebecca Salmond makes ... Learn More