The region is located on the northern end of the south island, nestled around the town of Blenheim, and for many years was a sheep region. It was Montana wines, who in 1973 planted the first vines in the region “too far south to grow good wine.” At the time the region was the southernmost region in the country, but nowadays Central Otago takes south to a whole new level.
Plenty of sunshine hours, relatively low rainfall and cool temperatures provide the perfect conditions for growing world-class Sauvignon Blanc the region is renowned for. Other whites grown include Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewürztraminer and Sparkling wines. Pinot Noir dominates the red varieties grown, though is typically lighter bodied than Central Otago or Martinborough Pinots.
- Exclusively produced for United Cellars by Luke Miller, carefully selected from a single vineyard site in the Awatere Valley. Bright aromatics of tropical fruits, lemon grass & chalky minerality. A full mouthfeel, with zesty acidity carrying tropical & citrus flavours to a ... Learn More
- Gold NZ Wine of the Year Awards 2019. Gold NZ International Wine Show 2019. Produced from vineyards in the Lower Wairau plains, which have belonged to the Holdaway family since 1864. This wine has layers of appealing flavours, with lifted citrus aromas of ... Learn More
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. Mouth-watering & intensely flavoured, with notes of passion-fruit, feijoa, lime & capsicum. A pure, terroir driven ... Learn MoreUC SELECTIONS SAUVIGNON BLANC BY REBECCA SALMOND 2018NZ$17.99 Per item
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. Perfumed with bright raspberry, blackberry & cherry fruit that leads to a full, fragrant palate. ... Learn More
- Made exclusively for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstars Matt & Sophie Thomson. A hand picked, single-vineyard wine with ripe tropical-fruit flavours, showing excellent delicacy and depth. The nose is elegant with finely concentrated, deeply penetrating aromas of pungent passionfruit ... Learn MoreUC SELECTIONS SAUVIGNON BLANC BY MATT THOMSON 2019NZ$24.99 Per item
- Certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. The fruit was carefully selected from 3 different terroirs on the property and aged for 3 months on lees. Immediately refreshing and smooth, with flavours of apricot, ... Learn More
- A delicious, decadent dessert wine with incredible cellaring potential. Opulent & concentrated layers of honey, beeswax & stonefruit flavours with a firm citrus acidity. Gold Medal Winner at the Royal Easter Show 2017 & NZ IWS 2016. ... Learn More
- Hand picked from the Waihopai Valley and whole bunch pressed, with minimal intervention from the wine maker. A soft, creamy Chardonnay that has gone through full malolactic with wild ferments. Delicately aromatic with honeysuckle, melon and stonefruit notes. Gold & Food ... Learn More
- A youthful, fresh & fruit forward Pinot Noir. Certified organic, biobynamic & hand picked fruit from Marlborough. Carefully curated by the Bourgeois family in Sancerre. Smooth, silky and lightly textured, with flavours of cherry cola, cranberry and dried herbs. ... Learn More
- Clos Herni's flagship wine, certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. Aged on lees for 8 months, only 10% seeing French oak, this wine retains great freshness & tension. Complex and layered with flavours of ... Learn More
- A rich and luscious Late Harvest Semillon, with an intensely concentrated bouquet of green stonefruits, lime & nectar. Certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. Hand-picked and fermented in French oak barrels with 80 ... Learn More
- Since 1993, Foxes Island Pinot Noir has been the flagship of the highly respected house under the direction of international winemaker John Belsham. With a commitment to cellar ageing prior to release, Foxes Island Pinot Noir is always a standout. Powerful. ... Learn More
- Limited edition, vintage methode traditionnelle with 100% Pinot Noir. Certified organic and meticulously run by the famous Sancerre wine growing family of Henri Bourgeois. Named after the vineyard's iconic country church, the grapes are lightly whole bunch pressed & aged for a ... Learn MoreCLOS HENRI "CHAPEL BLOCK" BLANC DE NOIRS METHODE TRADITIONNELLE 2014NZ$54.99 Per item
Proudly supporting local winemakers- treat yourself to these exclusive drops from winemaking superstar Rebecca Salmond. High quality, single vineyard, artisanal wines from certified organic sites & made with minimal intervention. "From one vintage to the next, Rebecca Salmond makes ... Learn More