Champagne is made from 3 grapes. The two red grapes Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and the white grape Chardonnay. All three are commonly blended though a ‘blanc de blanc’ meaning ‘white from white’ indicates that only Chardonnay was used. Conversely a ‘blanc de noir’ or ‘white from black’ indicates that the two red grapes were used.
A common misconception is that Champagne was invented by Dom Pérignon. Although this is not the case, he made considerable contributions to the quality and production methods used in the region. The very first bottles of Champagne were created by accident, and coined ‘the devil’s wine’ for all the popping corks. Sparkling wine in Australia was referred to as Champagne but this practise has long been disallowed.
Methode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced and if you see Millisime on a bottle, it represents the fact that the wine comes from a particular vintage rather than being blended, which is the more common practice.
Icons such as Dom Pérignon and Krug are world renowned, but we find as much pleasure in the smaller Champagne houses such as Gosset and Jacquinot. Magnums are perfect for the festive occasions and half bottles are also available.
- If you like your Champagne dry & clean with great fruity notes, this is the one! Since 1770, the Orban family has been growing grapes in Troissy, a region renowned for its Pinot Meunier. The wine has a fine mousse and supple ... Learn More
- A blend of 60% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay and 10% Pinot Meunier, only from Grand Cru and Premier Cru vineyards, this is exceptional quality Champagne for an unbelievable price! One of the finest Grower Champagnes on the market, crafting luxury Champagne for more ... Learn More
- Made from 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Pinot Meuneir & 20% Chardonnay from Premier Cru vineyards, and aged for two years in bottle before release. Deep aromas of fresh fruits and hint of nuts. The taste is full bodied and rich with fruit though elegant ... Learn More
- A beautifully balanced Champagne, offering up bright citrus aromas, toasty brioche and lingering green apple notes. Family owned & operated for the past 135 years, in the heart of the Cotes de Blancs area. 70% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Noir. ... Learn More
- 100% Grand Cru fruit. Pinot Noir & Chardonnay blend. The nose is a combination of ripe citrus fruits with a buttery overtone and flowery finish. The flavours are fresh and vibrant, of peaches, melons and raspberry with light hazelnut nuance adding depth ... Learn More
- Consistently, classy, light & fresh, celebrating the purity of Cuis. 100% Chardonnay from five different harvests, blended in a subtle but classic "Pierre Gimonnet" style. Low dosage and aged in bottle for up to 30 months before release. "One of the most pristine ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
Join our Master of Wine, Alistair Cooper, live from the UK, who will be hosting our series of online, interactive tastings during the COVID-19 lockdown. This pack contains a bottle ... Learn More
- The trump card of this luxury Champagne House, who have been crafting artisinal bubbles for more than two centuries. A pure expression of 100% Pinot Noir from Urville & exclusive to United Cellars. Low sulphites, zero dosage & unfiltered to preserve as much ... Learn More
- 100% Grand Cru fruit from the villages of Chouilly and Ay. Only produced in exceptional years, of which 2013 was most definitely one. Chardonnay dominant, showing gorgeous white flowers, green apple and sweet caramel popcorn. A small percent of Pinot Noir adds ... Learn MoreChampagne Autreau Brut Reserve Grand Cru Vintage 2013NZ$99.99 Per item
- Established in 1829, Bollinger is one of Champagne's mythical houses as well as one of the last surviving independent houses. A classic when it comes to Champangne's. Pale golden in colour with yeasty aromas on the nose. Very dry but with ... Learn More
- Vintage Champagne with that Wow Factor! Floral aromas burst from the bottle and are followed by fig, apricot & hazelnut flavours and subtle hints of oak. The finish is complex yet well-balanced vanilla & toastiness. ... Learn MoreG.H. Martel & Co Victoire Gold Cuvee Champagne 2010NZ$124.99 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
Join our Master of Wine, Alistair Cooper, live from the UK, who will be hosting our series of online, interactive tastings so wine lovers across NZ can be involved. This ... Learn More
- An exuberant tribute to Madame Clicquot, reflecting her quest for perfection. A simply unforgettable head turner, only made in exceptional years. A rich, complex nose of stone fruits, dried apricot, gingerbread and fresh pastries. On the palate are layers of ... Learn More
- Rounded, silky and beguiling, Dom Perignon is not merely one of the most beautiful Champagnes but one of the world's most beautiful wines period. The 2008 vintage is an absolute classic in the making and this is destined to be one ... Learn More
- Antonio Galloni: 94/100 "The 2012 Grande Année is vibrant and wonderfully nuanced. Citrus peel, orchard fruit, brioche, dried flowers and chamomile are all finely knit in a Grand Année built on energy and persistence more than size." Bollinger’s prestige ... Learn More
- James Suckling: "Such attractive, fresh, floral aromas here with fine bread, hints of white almonds and a lemon edge." John Gilman: "The 2012 vintage of Cristal is the first to be produced entirely from Demeter-certified, biodynamically-farmed fruit." Complex and intense bouquet ... Learn More