For many years traditionalist wine makers thought the grape variety was best suited to the cooler climates of the Rhône Valley and that the variety would cook and in the warmth of the Australian sun. Although South Australian Shiraz is a bigger, beefier wine than its southern French counterpart Syrah, no one can deny the regions propensity to produce world class wines.
Not only Shiraz is cultivated in Barossa Valley, with other red varieties such as Grenache, Mourvedre (Mataro) and to a lesser extent Sauvignon. The white varieties that thrive best seem to be Semillon, Chardonnay and Rhone varietals like Viognier, Marsanne and Roussane.
The Valley has many subregions which all have unique terroirs. Seppeltsfield, Marananga, Greenock are to name but a few. With a huge number of wineries in such a small area, and a host of accommodation, the region is very popular for wine-tourism. In the words of Master of Wine Jancis Robinson, the Barossa Valley became "Australia's quintessential wine region."
- Single vineyard Barossa Valley Shiraz! Full flavoured in a typical typical Barossan style with delicious with dark plum & chocolate aromas. Aged for 15 months on American oak leading to a smooth, lingering finish. Previous vintages are multi international gold medal winning. ... Learn More
- A new release from Z Wines, a vineyard that has been in the family for over 5 generations. Made in a semi-sweet style, with bold aromas of lime, kerosene & wild honey. A crisp yet sweet wine with perfectly balanced acidity. Only 200 ... Learn More
- Double Gold Medal & Best Value Award Winner- China WSA 2018. Imported direct from the Australia's greatest Shiraz growing region, offering a lush, velvety, mouth-filling experience. Vibrant red fruit and vanillin flavours, complimented with fine tannins and subtle toasty oak. ... Learn More
- A perfect example of a Barossa Shiraz, accessible and rich but with a beautifully elegant touch. Dark cherries enhanced with licorice, cassis, hints of vanilla and blueberries appear on the medium-full bodied palate. Ripe tannins and a complex acidity lend ... Learn More
- Limited edition & extremely collectible, with only 50 dozen created. Intense, aged characters of toffee apple, decadent butterscotch, Christmas cake and caramel flavours, with a long, chewy finish. A special dessert wine, aged for 10 years before release. ... Learn More
- An energetic, yet easy-drinking Shiraz from a mutli gold medal awarded, family owned winery in the heart of the Barrosa. A medley of red berry fruit, mint, mocha and cloves make up the nose, while the palate is satiny in ... Learn More
- A Shiraz that screams the Barossa, with juicy forest fruits upfront, lingering spice & smooth, fine grain tannins. A lively mix of plums, mulberry and blackberry entice the nose, as well as hints of lavender, herbs and a touch of mixed ... Learn More
- A rare allocation of this highly sought Australian Riesling. Sourced from the Eden Valley, high in the Barossa ranges. Incredible notes of complex palate weight, minerality & softness on the finish. Aged for 10 months on lees before a further 12 months in ... Learn More
- The Barossa Valley Shiraz is generous in its dark plum and blackberry fruits. Notes of tar and graphite follow with hints of dried herbs and tobacco. The palate is rounded and supple with dark fruits and a supple tannin backbone ... Learn More
- Produced from saved & replanted pre-1860 vines on the banks of the North Para River. Rich and juicy raspberry and Satsuma plum fill the mouth, with allspice sweetness adding to the mouthfeel. The fruit is well balanced with hints of briary ... Learn More
- Barossa and Eden Valley combine here into a lush, full-bodied red with plenty of gusto, in typical SA Shiraz style. Excellent old vine fruit aged for 15 months in French oak creates a opulent wine, saturated in dark plum, blackberry compote & ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER, BUT PACK STILL AVAILABLE**
Join our Master of Wine, Alistair Cooper, live from the UK, who will be hosting our series of online, interactive tastings so wine lovers across NZ ... Learn More
- A special release designed to showcase the best of the vintage & what defines the terrior of Schild Estate. Meticulously crafted to offer full but fine tannins, with a vibrant focus & fruit complexity Soft layers of vibrant blackberries & plum fruit coupled ... Learn More
- Planted in 1843, some of the oldest and rarest vines in the world. Rich, sweet fruit is balanced wonderfully with briary and sweet spices and lovely, silky tannins. A full-bodied, textured wine, showing great complexity with hints of cedar and allspice ... Learn More
- The Schulz Shiraz speaks of true Northern Barossa style: rich, deep and opulent. Intense aromas of blueberry, blackberry jam, vanilla musk and olive tapenade with subtle notes of cured charcuterie, graphite and tar. The palate reveals a soft, sensual, mouth ... Learn More