Most of the wineries are around 45 minutes drive from the city of Auckland, so the region is popular for day trippers. Auckland’s climate in general isn't ideally suited to grape cultivation, but small pockets or sub-regions exist where micro-climates can produce some world-class wines. The region typically gets enough sunshine for the harvest, but rain is the constant threat, especially in spring and summer.
The red varieties that work the best in the region are the Bordeaux styled varieties made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and also the non-Bordeaux Syrah. Most notable of the whites grown in the region is Chardonnay, for which Kumeu River is very highly regarded.
- From the highly lauded Kumeu wine region, famed for some of New Zealand's best Chardonnays, comes this new cult classic. This boutique wine from a small, family-owned vineyard beside the Riverhead Forest has immediate melt-in-your-mouth appeal. A light aroma of ... Learn More
- A delicate red cherry, cranberry & dried herb aroma with a youthful, juicy plum & red fruit flavour. An extremely approachable Bordeaux blend with delicate tannins, fine texture & a light dash of toasty oak. Made for United Cellars by the acclaimed Michael ... Learn More
- A secret barrel of Te Whau wine from the closing 2016 vintage, made by the infamous Mike Wood of Obsidian Wines. The palate is juicy and vibrant, delivering attractive fruit intensity and fine texture, nicely structured by chalky tannins. An intense & ... Learn More
- Only 350 cases of this triple gold medal winning wine were made. Hand crafted from only the best fruit from a 1978 Waiheke winery & then aged for 14 months on 30% new French oak. Full bodied but finely structered & velvety smooth, with dense notes ... Learn More
- The last vintage created by the highly sought after, critically acclaimed cult vineyard, St Nesbit. A modest, silken nose of roses, pencil shavings and sweet plum and cherry fruit. An elegant, restrained and complex palate, with bright red fruit flavours ... Learn More
- NZ's version of Penfolds Grange by Luc Desbonnets- extemely limited! Extremely rich & opulent, rich with dark fruits & chocolate flavours. Unfined and minimally filtered on Waiheke Island- only 300 cases made! ... Learn More
- A truly boutique special release from Waiheke, worthy of the best cellars. Acclaimed wine maker Luc Desbonnets created this master piece, perfectly balancing every aspect. A very expressing nose giving perfumed notes of lavender, cedar and Indian spices over a ... Learn MoreTE RERE WINEMAKER'S RESERVE SYRAH 2010 MAGNUM 1.5LNZ$99.99 Per item
This great selection of wines from Tempest Cove will ensure that your wine supply is perfectly sorted for any meal or mood that comes your way. And we are including a FREE bottle of Drappier 1er Cru Champagne to ... Learn More