White Wine, Alsace
Alsace gets plenty of sunshine hours, with a deep continental climate and superb meso-climate created by the sheltering presence of the Vosges Mountains. This allows the full spectrum of aromatic flavours to show in the grapes. The soils are quite diverse, with 13 different soil types in all.
The noble grapes of Alsace are Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc, Sylvaner, Muscat Ottonel and Muscat d'Alsace in the whites, and Pinot Noir in the reds. Recent decades have seen an increase in Riesling, Pinot Gris and Pinot Noir plantings, while the classical Sylvaner grape is on the decline.
Wines are produced under three different appelations or AOCs:
- - Alsace AOC: must be made from one of the 8 permitted grape varieties in the appellation (white, rosé and red wines)
- - Alsace Grand Cru: Introduced in 1983, currently recognising 50 Grand Cru sites. It is the pinnacle of Alsace, where topography, aspect and soil type must be in harmony along with a track record of producing excellent wines.
- - Crémant d'Alsace: Appelation for sparkling wines, that can be both dry or sweet.
High quality liquers and spirits are also made in Alsace by producers such as Bertrand and Vedrenne.
- 2016 in Alsace is considered a great Riesling vintage. Dry, fresh, elegant and well structured, it has a developed nose showing lemon and lime, with mineral tones. The palate has nice ripe fruit. White peach, quince, grapefruit and lemon with lovely ... Learn More
- 2015 in Alsace is considered a great Riesling vintage. Dry, fresh, elegant and well structured, it has a developed nose showing lemon and lime, with mineral tones. The palate has nice ripe fruit. White peach, quince, grapefruit and lemon with lovely ... Learn More
- Grapes are pressed for about 8 hours. Then they are vinified in big traditional Alsatian casks and ferment with natural yeasts. ... Learn MoreChapoutier Alsace Riesling 'Lieu-Dit Buehl' 2017 (En Primeur)$59.99 Per item
- The grapes are harvested by hand into 20kg trays. Fine with notes of plum, fresh tangerine citrus, grapefruit, with menthol and celery. Slender and crisp on the palate. This wine has a weave of salty bitters underscored by a dash ... Learn More
- Grapes are pressed for about 8 hours. Then they are vinified in big traditional Alsatian casks and ferment with natural yeasts. The nose exhibits exotic fruit aromas such as pineapple and mango with mineral notes of blossoms. The palate is powerful ... Learn More
- A gewurztraminer masterpiece! Smells like walking through a tropical garden at dawn. On the palate, it is creamy and elegant at the same time. With just enough sweetness to fit into this category and just enough acidity to make the ... Learn More
- This vineyard was purchased around 2010 by Eric Kientzler and is quickly proving to be one of the most distinguished Rieslings in the fabulous line-up of spectacularly dry and mineral Rieslings at this address. The 2018 sports 6.6 gms RS which is balanced ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 3 different wines to be opened during an online tasting held on Thursday the 22nd of October 2020. This event is all about the perfect summer ... Learn More
- 98pts James Suckling 98+pts Vinous Media 19/20 Jancis Robinson MW Clos Ste Hune has been in production for nearly 100 years, sourced from vines in the Rosacker Grand Cru of Hunawihr. Vine age averages at 50 years, with the oldest being 70 years old. ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout late August and early September 2020.
Across 4 weeks we will ... Learn More