Contributing to around 6% of Italy's total wine output, Tuscany is the third most planted region, but only the eight biggest producer. Much of this can be attributed to the hilly terroir and poor soils leading to lower yields, but generally higher quality wines. The region produces far more red than white wine, and is responsible for two of the most famous Italian red wines, Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino.
Chianti was first classified in 1716, and the region of Tuscany now has 29 DOC and 7 DOCG classifications. In the 1970s 'Super Tuscan' wines emerged of supreme quality, commanding very high prices. Although they were initially produced outside the DOC or DOCG zones, most of the regions have since been classified, though some producers still opt to use the simpler and less restrictive IGT labelling.
The famous red wine Chianti is based on the the Sangiovese variety, though is most commonly blended with Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon. The blending of multiple grapes is common, even Bordeaux blends can be found. White wines produced include Vermentino, Vernaccia, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay.
- Villa Antinori is, firstand foremost,an idea,a way of conceiving the production of wine: on the one hand, experimentation and evolution, on the other hand, continuityin tradition. Sangiovese and other complementary grape varieties render their homage to an historic ... Learn More
- Poggione was established in the 1800's and has built a reputation for high quality Brunello at below market pricing - Brunello di Montalcino is the most pure expression of Sangiovese that can be found. Sourced from the oldest vines on ... Learn More
- Founded in 1971 by Giovanni Neri who with his great vision and passion understood the huge potential of wine in the Montalcino territory, it was passed on to his son Giacomo in 1991.The production started in the Eastern part of Montalcino ... Learn More
- Founded by Primo Pacenti in 1962, in 1987 Primo was joined by son- in-law Pier Luigi Ripaccioli, and since 2001, Canalicchio di Sopra has been in the highly capable, thoughtful hands of Pier Luigi’s three children, Francesco, Simonetta and Marco. The Rosso ... Learn More
- The exciting news from Le Ragnaie is the release of a new wine, made entirely with fruit from Montosoli. Otherwise, about half of the estate vineyards are located in the higher-elevation parts of the appellation. These locations usually show lots ... Learn More
- Fontodi is located in the heart of Chianti Classico precisely in the valley which lies south of the town of Panzano and is called the “Conca d’Oro” (the golden shell) because of its amphitheatre shape. A genuine and characteristc “ ... Learn MoreFontodi Chianti Classico Gran Selezione 'Vigna Del Sorbo' 2015$170.01 Per item
- The Il Carbonaione is a lovely mid-weight expression of Sangiovese produced by Podere Poggio Scalette ... Learn More
- Founded in 1971 by Giovanni Neri who with his great vision and passion understood the huge potential of wine in the Montalcino territory, it was passed on to his son Giacomo in 1991.The production started in the Eastern part of Montalcino ... Learn MoreCasanova Di Neri Brunello Di Montalcino 'Tenuta Nuova' 2015$220.00 Per item
- "The 2015 Ornellaia is a dream wine with magnificent balance." - 98 points, Antonio Galloni On the nose it reveals notes of ripe red berry fruit, tobacco, spices and vanilla. The palate is rich, thick and broad, characterized by an excellent tannic ... Learn More
- During pre-harvesting the first days of September created stability into the best grape clusters then harvested. 2015 was a perfect vintage, warm but not dry or wet, ideal weather conditions for a grape variety that in fact does not love too ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout May and early June 2020. During the COVID-19 lockdown, we will be ... Learn More