Sicily, Languedoc Roussillon
Sicily is blessed with the most favorable climate. The summers are hot and it hardly rains, and the winters are not that cold and frost is rare. The Mediterranean climate is ideal for growing wine grapes as the coastal winds drying out grapes overnight. Because of the warm and relatively dry climate, there are less risk of rot and mildew among the grapes, so chemical sprays are rarely used. The soil of Sicily is rocky and enriched with minerals that absorb the heat during the day and release it at night, which helps the grape vines maintain an even temperature while the air around it gets cooler.
Languedoc-Roussillon is oft called by the abbreviated 'Languedoc' - It's the coastal region of southern France from Provence to the Pyrenees Mountains and borders with Spain. With over 3 times the amount of vines than the entire of Bordeaux it's a vast region that produces a lot of wine. Vin de Pays d'Oc and sparkling Crémant de Limoux are two of its most famous exports.
The regions history when it comes to wine is a long a rich one, however it is also home to some of the newest AUC appellations in France, like Cabardès, which was only officially recognised in 1999. The region is a haven for enthusiasts of wine on a budget, for it is here you can find some remarkably high-quality wines without breaking the bank. Given the higher amount of sun hours experienced in the South of France, the wines coming from there are more full bodied and rich than from other more prestigious regions.
In the recent past (1970's) Languedoc region was known to produce vast amounts of cheap wine that didn't help its reputation region at all, however a steady improvement now sees it responsible for producing some great value wines that are generally blends, though not entirely so. Carignan, Syrah, Grenache, Chardonnay, Carmenere, Cinsault and Picpoul are some of the most common widely planted varietals. Grower cooperatives produce some remarkable wines alongside their more traditional winery neighbours.
- This Syrah is truly expressive of the South of France. Lightly perfumed with aromas of dark berries, plum, sweet spice and hints of forest bramble. The palate is rich and supple with a core of ripe and naturally sweet berried ... Learn More
- Made solely from Syrah that is completely whole bunch fermented with a short maceration (a few hours) sufficient to impart colour and texture. The nose is aromatic and sweetly perfumed with aromas of strawberries and rose petals. The palate is ... Learn More
- The nose displays raspberry and cherry aromas with a hint of fresh herbs. A light-medium bodied palate, with ripe fruit flavours of red currant, cherry and strawberry fruits. Some hints of baking spices and subtle oak in the background. To ... Learn More
- Made by Alberto Antonini who was named in the TOP 5 best winemakers in the world by Decanter Magazine. Carefully selected grapes coming from central Sicily are used to create this perfect mid-week red. Notes of violet, cherry and plum with ... Learn More
- "In the Book of Tobias, an ancient Hebrew text, Asmodeus is the Demon of Lust. It is said that when Cain killed Abel, Adam and Eve separated for 130 years. During this time, Adam was tempted by Naamah and Lillith, two ... Learn More
- Aromatic nose with aromas of small mashed red fruits mixed with spicy and smokey hints. Rich and silky palate. The Le Versant Syrah Vin de Pays d'Oc has a nice aromatic complexity with a pleasant and fruity finish. Offering great ... Learn More
- Picpoul de Pinet is located in the Languedoc region in the south of France. It is one of the few regions in France that is named after the grape varietal that is most common there. Grown meters from the oyster ... Learn More
- Exclusive to United Cellars - our most popular Syrah! A sumptuous and youthful Syrah from sun-drenched vineyards in the south of France. Aromatic nose with aromas of small mashed red fruits mixed with spicy and smokey hints. Rich and silky ... Learn More
- An amazing French Chardonnay, great value for money, with aromas of white flowers, ripe fruit and a hint of honey. A generous yet well-balanced mouthfeel with fresh stone fruit characters and a hint of oak. Perfect for every day of ... Learn More
- Made by the best co-operative producer in France, and imported exclusively by United Cellars. A delicate pretty nose, attractively scented. Notes of red fruits combine with more floral aromas like apple or orange blossom. Fresh and truly delicious with fruit ... Learn More
- An amazing French Chardonnay, great value for money, with aromas of white flowers, ripe fruit and a hint of honey. A generous yet well-balanced mouthfeel with fresh stone fruit characters and a hint of oak. ... Learn More
- Aromatic cherry and blueberry on the nose, which leads into a full fleshy palate of plums, prunes and blackberries entwined with a soft coating of tannin. Fruit was sourced from an 9 year old vineyard on northern aspect from the province ... Learn More
- Les Vignobles Foncalieu named 'Cooperative Winery of the Year 2012' by the Revue du Vin de France - the biggest magazine in the French wine industry! A strong and aromatic nose of red fruits mixed with liquorice notes. Medium bodied, ... Learn More
- A blend of Nero d'Avola and Frappato from Sicily's south-east corner. A complex array of fruity and floral notes with aromas of black currant, blackberry, dried rose, rhubarb, Mediterranean, black pepper and tobacco. The nose follows into the mouth, with ... Learn More
- The wines of COS are consistently rated amongst the best natural wines in the world. Fermented on skins in terracotta amphorae. Very aromatic with lively white peach, honey and floral aromas. Medium bodied, with lovely deep dried berry flavours. Elegant ... Learn More
- Pithos Rosso is fermented in Giare which are terracotta amphorae – an ancient practice that still works wonderfully. The nose is stunning with aromas violets and raspberry blossom. The palate is warm and supple, with floral notes. Raspberry and cherry fruit ... Learn More
- Awarded 94 points by Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. The wine which has become an image of the change in Sicilian wine. It arrived from the wish for success in competing with the world in the production of this noble and widespread ... Learn More
- The Chapoutier family of winemakers have been making wine in the Northern Rhone for decades, and are one of the largest landowners of some of the most renowned vineyard sites in the world. This wine is a blend of 65% Grenache ... Learn More
- 100% Syrah; among the first planted in the “department” and above all among the rare few to be grown using the Goblet pruning method with individual stakes. Located in the Lesquerde district, an area in the department where the grapes are ... Learn More
This pack is the perfect introduction to the wines of Europe. We have an elegant French Chardonnay from Le Versant, winner of Cooperative Winery of the Year (Revue du Vin de France). There is the perfect wine to entice ... Learn More