Shiraz, Adelaide Hills
The classic, truly Australian blend is Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon, but it is also blended with Grenache and Mourvedre (GSM) in warmer climates. In recent years it is increasingly being blended with Viognier to create the Shiraz/Viognier blend.
Shiraz's home is in the Northern Rhône's, Hermitage, Cote Rôtie and Cornas, in France. It is now also grown extensively in the Southern Rhône where it is blended with Grenache and Mourvèdre to produce the great red wines of Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas amongst others.
Famous for their Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling and Pinot Noir, the viticulture of this region was re-established in 1979 but grapes were planted locally as early as 1839. During the last three decades, Adelaide Hills has emerged as one of Australia’s most exciting cool climate wine region, being known to produce elegant, distinct, sophisticated wines. Located in the Mount Lofty Ranges and only a 30-minute drive from Adelaide, this region is home not only to over 90 wine labels and 48 cellar doors, but also to multiple forests, beef and dairy farms, apple and pear orchards.
Known to be one of the largest geographical wine regions in Australia, the Adelaide Hills are made up of two registered sub-regions: Lenswood and Piccadilly Valley. These narrow band of hills stretch across to be approximately 70 km long and 30 km wide and border Barossa and Eden Valleys to the North and McLaren Vale to the South.
The climate of this region is considerably cooler compared to other wine regions in the summer, due to the altitudes of the vineyards being 400-700 meters high. The cooler drier climate produces grapes with ideal fruit composition, creating the perfect balance of flavour and acidity.
- The 2018 vintage in the Adelaide Hills really allowed this shiraz to live up to its reputation. This is a wine bursting with flavour, it is a light to medium bodied cool climate shiraz that has become a flagship within the ... Learn More
- The 2017 vintage in the Adelaide Hills really allowed this shiraz to live up to its reputation. This is a wine bursting with flavour, it is a light to medium bodied cool climate shiraz that has become a flagship within the ... Learn More
- Mike Press has worked in the Australian wine industry for over 50 years. Whether at Penfolds, as Chief Winemaker of Mildara Blass or producing his own wines in the Adelaide Hills he has always been a highly regarded and awarded winemaker ... Learn More
- Sourced from a vineyard in Echunga, 410m above sea level and just down the road from the first vineyard planted in South Australia. Stephen has worked with this vineyard since 2010, and in 2014 won the Jimmy Watson trophy for the ‘13 vintage. ... Learn More
- This wine pays homage to the wines of the Northern Rhone regions of Côte Rôtie and St Joseph. Highly perfumed, vibrant and complex with prominent blackforest fruits, tapenade, all spice, terracotta, dark cocoa powder and tamarind. The palate ... Learn More
- Shaw + Smith Shiraz is a medium bodied cool-climate Shiraz, in which balance is more important than power. The 2016 has intensity and generosity, showing darker fruits: a reflection of an excellent warm, yet even, season. From low yielding vines predominantly at ... Learn More
- From close-planted (5,500 vines/ha) low yielding vines at Shaw + Smith's Balhannah Vineyard, planted in 2005. It has a north-facing aspect and the soils are loam over clay, ironstone, quartzite, and shale. 2015 was a remarkable vintage. Above average winter rainfall ensured a ... Learn More
A mix of 3 great value and delicious wines that will be the perfect gift to get any Christmas party started! Showcasing wines from some of the best wine regions in the world, this is sure to make any true ... Learn More
- This specially curated pack comes with carton inserts with vintage overview and tasting notes, and a link to video with winemaker Adam Wadewitz and Michael Hill Smith MW talking through the wines. As a special release, the team at Shaw + ... Learn More