Wine is successfully cultivated on both the North and South islands from a latitude of 36 degrees in the North to 45 degrees for the most southerly wine region in the world, the south Island's Central Otago. The majority of regions are located in free-draining alluvial valleys except for Waiheke Island and Kawarau Gorge in Central Otago and benefit from the moderating effect of the maritime climate as no vineyard is more than 80 miles from the ocean. With plentiful sunshine hours and cool evening sea breezes, the grapes thrive.
Sauvignon Blanc is the major white variety people will think of when you mention New Zealand Whites, however fantastic Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and less commonly Viognier, Chenin Blanc and Pinot Blanc. Pinot Noir is the most widely planted red variety in New Zealand although Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot (Bordeaux Blends), Syrah are also grown and in even smaller amounts, Tempranillo and Montepulcianos can too be found. Sparkling wines of very high standards are also made in New Zealand.
The key wine regions in New Zealand include Auckland, Canterbury, Central Otago, Gisborne, Hawke's Bay, Marlborough and Nelson.
- t captures the mix of gorgeous Pinot red fruits with a delicious savoury underbelly. Drinking beautifully now it's a floral scented, juicy wine layered with fine tannins, raspberry and blackcurrant, wild strawberry and spice flavours. ... Learn More
- Dark floral and spice scents lead to wonderful red and dark fruits, with a lovely seam of minerality supported by supple tannins. Purity, elegance combine with texture, concentration and length. A true reflection of the three Central Otago sub regions ... Learn More
- Attractive florals and spice notes with layers of red and dark fruits balanced with a lovely minerality and fine supple tannins. A style that combines purity and elegance with texture, concentration and length. A true reflection of the three Central ... Learn More
- Silky and elegant with dark red cherry, spice and blackcurrant. A style that combines purity and elegance with texture, concentration and length. A true reflection of the three Central Otago sub regions that contribute to this Pinot Noir. 100% hand harvested ... Learn More
- Intriguing aromas of exotic spice, mocha and dried floral notes. A concentrated palate with layers of dark fruit supported by fine earthy tannins. A style that combines purity and elegance with texture, concentration and length A true reflection of the ... Learn More
- Peregrine Wines have named themselves after the Peregrine Falcon, a rare bird of prey found in very small numbers in Otago where the winery is based. This superb Pinot Noir is hand-harvested, warm-fermented and matured on French oak barrels for 10 ... Learn More
- Sourced from a totally organically-farmed vineyard. This has the intensity and depth of flavour the Central Otago region is becoming renowned for. Mocha spice, blood plums and dark cherry aromas jump from the glass 5% whole bunches added to the ferment, ... Learn More
In hopeful preparation for a real trip to New Zealand, we're going to take you on a virtual tour of the famous Central Otago! Across our two sessions, we'll travel through the six sub-regions of Central Otago to showcase ... Learn More
This pack includes a 7th wine to be tasted at the end of the second week in a smaller group setting within the zoom breakout room for a chance to taste a 99 point Pinot Noir with winemaker Nick Mills ... Learn More