The region is located on the northern end of the south island, nestled around the town of Blenheim, and for many years was a sheep region. It was Montana wines, who in 1973 planted the first vines in the region “too far south to grow good wine.” At the time the region was the southernmost region in the country, but nowadays Central Otago takes south to a whole new level.
Plenty of sunshine hours, relatively low rainfall and cool temperatures provide the perfect conditions for growing world-class Sauvignon Blanc the region is renowned for. Other whites grown include Chardonnay, Riesling, Pinot Gris, Gewürztraminer and Sparkling wines. Pinot Noir dominates the red varieties grown, though is typically lighter bodied than Central Otago or Martinborough Pinots.
Nelson is nestled on the top end of the South Island, two hours to the west of its famous neighbour Marlborough. The wineries are mostly located on the plains, southwest of the town of Nelson, and up on the hills of Upper Moutere.
The region receives a lot more rain than its neighbour Marlborough, however also receives enough sunshine to balance out the rainfall. Nelson’s northern exposure gives it more second highest total hours of sunshine in the whole country. The soil structure tends to clay loams over hard clay subsoils.
Heavier reds like Cabernet Sauvignon don’t do so well in Nelson, where lighter reds like Pinot Noir and even Montepulciano have had more success. In the whites, Chardonnay of very high quality is being produced, with lesser amounts of Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Chenin Blanc are also cultivated.
Although it is one of the smaller wine regions, the fact that you can visit most of the wineries in a single day is a bonus!
- Sourced from the picturesque Wairau Valley in Marlborough, the fruit is harvested early, which is then pressed to tank for fermentation. A controlled ferment with hand selected yeast ensures aroma and fruit character are retained. The ferment is stopped early ... Learn More
- Made by Aussie winemaker Corey Ryan & ex Villa Maria winemaker Rod Macdonald. In September 2020, Rod was named on a who’s who list of top global winemakers – The Master Winemaker 100 – as compiled by reputable magazine the drinks business (UK). Rod ... Learn More
- Grapes for this wine were grown in the Ngatapa Valley region of Gisborne district where dry-farming practices have been employed for over 75 years. Post-harvest the grapes and juice were processed with care to maximise fruit flavour and intensity. The resulting ... Learn More
- The grapes for this wine came from two sites in the Awatere Valley and were machine-harvested at optimum ripeness to produce a medium-bodied wine with luscious tropical fruit, white peach, and a crisp green apple and lime finish. Taken from ... Learn More
- The fruit sourced for this blend comes from a range of sites throughout Marlborough, harvested separately and treated individually at the winery before blending by taste to achieve the ideal fruit profile and balance. Classic Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc matured in ... Learn More
- This Sauvignon Blanc is sourced from lower-yielding vineyards on the hillside slopes for greater intensity and whole bunch pressed. The nose is fresh and delicate with restrained aromas of gooseberry and freshly grown grass given complexity by river-stone and white ... Learn More
- Made by amazing winemaker Tom Hutchinson, this Organic Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is sourced from lower-yielding vineyards on the hillside slopes for greater intensity and whole bunch pressed. The nose is fresh and delicate with restrained aromas of gooseberry and freshly ... Learn More
- Earth Mother Organic Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2019$22.99 Per item
- Considered to be one of New Zealand's finest producers, Astrolabe have built their reputation on consistently producing exceptional wines. One of my favourite Astrolabe wines is the 2019 Astrolabe Awatere Valley Sauvignon Blanc. It’s quite a ripe example of the ... Learn More
- Classic strong citrus characters with lemon and grapefruit prominent, complimented by elderflowers, with smoky and flinty undertones. A juicy and vibrant palate of pure citrus flavours leaving a lengthy finish with refreshing, balanced acidity. Ideally enjoyed as a young wine, ... Learn More
- Shows distinctive Awatere characters of elderflower, guava, white currant, lemongrass and passion fruit coupled with lovely ripe tropicals and hints of basil and lime from Wairau components. The nose follows through to the palate - which is fine and soft ... Learn More
- Lifted aromas of nashi pear, raspberry, red apple and white florals. The nose follows through to the palate with the same flavours along with savoury undertones which are balanced by fine, supple texture and lingering minerality. Enjoyable to drink now ... Learn More
- Made by ex-Cloudy Bay winemakers, Dog Point is consistently one of the finest examples of Marlborough SB. Classic strong citrus characters with lemon and grapefruit prominent, complimented by elderflowers, with smoky and flinty undertones. A juicy and vibrant palate of ... Learn More
- Has the aromatic spice and weight of Gewurztraminer, the structure and length of Riesling, and the great texture of Pinot Gris in a perfectly balanced 75%/16%/9% blend. It is a delicious, co-fermented field blend from a single vineyard. Intensely perfumed, this ... Learn More
- Made for United Cellars by New Zealand winemaking superstars Matt and Sophie Thomson. Matt was head winemaker at St Clair, but has made wines across all of New Zealand as well as in Chile, Italy, France, Spain, Romania and Hungary. ... Learn More
- Established in 1985, Cloudy Bay was one of the first five wine makers to venture into Marlborough. The famed Marlborough producer's sparkling. It's one of the best consistently from over the ditch and has genuine French-like class. Sourcing Non-Vintage sparkling wine ... Learn More
- Intense and quite weighty sauvignon blanc with passionfruit, lime zest, gooseberry, red and green capsicum and subtle oyster-shell flavours, supported by deliciously tangy acidity that drives a lengthy finish. - Bob Campbell Established in 1985, Cloudy Bay was one of the ... Learn More
- Chalky and flinty mineral notes are followed by citrus, capsicum and pretty white flower aromas. This wine has good balance, a very nice acid presence and a smooth finish. It is tangy, round, soft, super fruity and easy to drink. ... Learn More
- Section 94 is one of the world’s most distinct wines, and regularly named New Zealand’s greatest Sauvignon Blanc. Bright straw-yellow colour with slight green hues, lighter on edge. The bouquet is firmly concentrated with deep aromas of greengages, nectarines ... Learn More
- Established in 1985, Cloudy Bay was one of the first five wine makers to venture into Marlborough. A vibrant mix of kaffir lime, lemon zest and nectarine aromatics intermingle with the bright perfume of orange blossom. Brimming with ripe citrus and ... Learn More
- Dog Point Pinot Noir is one of the icons of Marlborough and for good reason. Winemakers Ivan and James first began their journey in the NZ wine game by starting globally-acclaimed winery Cloudy Bay. They are maestro’s at producing ... Learn More
- Established in 1985, Cloudy Bay was one of the first five wine makers to venture into Marlborough. It has a seriously enticing Pinot nose of strawberries, earthy mushrooms and smoky spice. The palate is soft, delicious and integrated with red berry ... Learn More
- The first release of Untouched, a wine that has had no intervention except picking, pressing and bottling. Left to become wine with no additions. A vibrant nose with aromas of cherries, earth and florals. The nose transfers to the palate ... Learn More
- A ripe tropical and citrus bouquet, with underlying flinty minerality. In the mouth the wine is textural and rich from the lees aging with layers of minerals, lime, orange blossom and profound acidity balancing this dry, elegant wine. Ageing potential: 5 ... Learn More
- This wine has been co-fermented the Syrah with 7% Grüner Veltliner skins instead of the traditional Viognier. Whole-bunches made up 60% of the ferment. This marriage of varieties gives this wine a panoply of ripe fruit characters – raspberry and boysenberry fruit ... Learn More
- Barrel-aged for 18 months. Wonderfully fresh and floral with aromas of ripe stone fruit and exotic fruits. Full-bodied, it is weighty and sweet-fruited, with generous, ripe, peachy, slightly toasty and buttery flavours, good complexity, and a finely textured, well-rounded finish. Released ... Learn More
A mix of 3 exceptional wines that will be the perfect gift for even the hardest person to find something for! Showcasing wines from some of the best wine regions in the world, this is sure to make any true ... Learn More