Two concepts pivotal to the higher end French wines, in particular, are the idea of 'terroir' and the Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) system. Terroir refers to the way the geography, geology and climate find their way into the glass, telling a story of the origin of the wine. The AOC was set up in 1935 and has the primary goal of protecting the authenticity of the wines and the livelihoods of the producers. Appellation rules strictly define which varieties of grapes and winemaking practices are approved for classification in each of France's several hundred geographically defined appellations, which can cover entire regions, individual villages or in some cases, like in Burgundy even specific vineyards.
Classic wine regions in France include Champagne (home of Champagne), Burgundy (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay), Bordeaux (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot), Alsace (Aromatic varietals), Loire Valley (Chenin Blanc, Crémant) and the Rhône Valley (Syrah, Grenache Mourvedre)
The Bordeaux classification of 1855 is still in use, as is the Sauternes and Barsac Classification of the same year. Wines from certain regions can be bought En Primeur, which is when the wine is sold prior to it being bottled.
- Grapes are pressed for about 8 hours. Then they are vinified in big traditional Alsatian casks and ferment with natural yeasts. ... Learn MoreCHAPOUTIER ALSACE RIESLING 'LIEU-DIT BUEHL' 2017 (EN PRIMEUR)$59.99 Per item
- The grapes are harvested by hand into 20kg trays. Fine with notes of plum, fresh tangerine citrus, grapefruit, with menthol and celery. Slender and crisp on the palate. This wine has a weave of salty bitters underscored by a dash ... Learn More
- Grapes are pressed for about 8 hours. Then they are vinified in big traditional Alsatian casks and ferment with natural yeasts. The nose exhibits exotic fruit aromas such as pineapple and mango with mineral notes of blossoms. The palate is powerful ... Learn More
- The Chapoutier family of winemakers have been making wine in the Northern Rhone for decades, and are one of the largest landowners of some of the most renowned vineyard sites in the world. This wine is a blend of 65% Grenache ... Learn More
- A very steep, terraced vineyard which lies on the border of the famous “Cote-Blonde”. The 70 years old vines produce tiny yields, which is a guarantee of an exceptional quality product. Beguiling aromatics of baked rosemary, tapenade and cassis. This is ... Learn More
- The wines from this land have strong structure and colour. Very ripe red fruit, plum and some spicy scents. Full flavours of deep red fruit, which make a distinctive statement of dense Grenache intensity with warm furry, but fine tannins. ... Learn MoreCHAPOUTIER CHATEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE 'CROIX DE BOIS' 2017$195.00 Per item
- This wine is produced with grapes coming from Le Méal hillside (150-200 metres altitude). It takes its name from the old French word meaning “the best”. With soaring perfume of blackberry, spice and violet this feels the most exotic ... Learn More
- The vines (more than 50 years old) produce very low yields and guarantee high quality. Depth of flavour and a powerful core of fruit. There is tension and richness here with honeysuckle and cream accentuated by a long salty finish. ... Learn More
- The grapes producing “De l’Orée” come from the plot ‘Les Murets’ in the Eastern part of the hill. Many aromas characterise this wine: White fruit, honeysuckle, quince, spices and hazelnut. Rich and creamy with pear, walnut and a ... Learn More
- This vineyard is situated at the foot of the Hermitage Hill. It is a glacial alluvial deposit terrace with shingles and clay so more sedimentary soils bring power and rich aromas. ... Learn More
- The grapes producing “De l’Orée” come from the plot ‘Les Murets’ in the Eastern part of the hill. A vibrant nose with aromas of white fruit, honeysuckle, quince, spices and hazelnut. Rich and creamy with pear, walnut and ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 6 different wines to be opened during an online tasting held on the 9th of July 2020. During the COVID-19 lockdown, we will be running a ... Learn More
This pack contains 3 bottles of some of the most revered and rare wines in the world. Wines are to be opened during an online tasting held on Thursday the 19th of November 2020 at 6.30 pm AEDT.
This will ... Learn More