The Riesling grape with all its versatility is the main grape variety, and whilst many countries make Riesling, none can match the mouth-watering freshness and supreme delicacy achieved in a Mosel Kabinett from a top producer. Germany dry Rieslings as a rule tend to to be very graceful and elegant as compared to Rieslings from other countries, with an emphasis on finesse, not power. Standout producers such as Robert Weil make the headlines, but Donnhoff, JL Wolf, A Christmann and Dr Loosen are too worth seeking out.
Another most interesting contribution from Germany was Eiswine (ice wine), which until the 1970s was a freak of nature, though is now carefully managed. To produce Eiswine, parcels of vines are left out exposed to the frost, and although the production cost is astronomical they remain very popular. Robust Pinot Blancs and Pinot Gris are also produced in the whites and Pinot Noir, referred to as Spätburgunder is also grown.
The climate in Germany is, for the most part, cool, the exception being in the Pfalz and in Baden. As a result, vineyards are carefully selected with good sunlight exposure a must. For example along the banks of the Mosel River, vines are only planted one side, as there isn't enough sunlight exposure to ripen grapes on the north-facing side.
Key regions include Mosel and Nahe where extraordinary Rieslings are produced.
- Made by the famous and energetic Ernie Loosen (of Dr Loosen fame), voted one of the World's 50 Most Influential Winemakers in Wine & Spirits Magazine. The fruit for the Wachenheimer Riesling comes from a single-vineyard site , called Königswingert (“King’s ... Learn More
- The Pfalz Riesling is produced from the grapes of first pickings in our classified sites. These are always picked on the perfect degree of ripeness limiting the amount of fruit acid to a moderate level. The wine unites the minerality, ... Learn More
- Deep bright red , smokey, bright cherry and cranberry nose , hints of anis , mint and earth . Crunchy and bright on the palate with gorgeous , generous savoury strawberry fruit . Fine but mouthcoating tannins give the wine a long finish . Cool in style ... Learn More
- Sourced from a steep, southeast-facing slope with grey clay slate soil. A perfect vineyard for Kabinett wines! A cool, fresh nose with white peach, fresh fig and apple aromas. With well-defined, spicy fruit, very elegant with a wonderful balance between ... Learn MoreDonnhoff 'Oberhauser Leistenberg' Riesling Kabinett 2018$45.00 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 3 different wines to be opened during an online tasting held on Thursday the 22nd of October 2020. This event is all about the perfect summer ... Learn More
- The Kirchspiel grand cru site opens toward the Rhine like an amphitheatre. Its southern and southeastern exposure protects the vines from cold westerly winds – and accounts for the excellent microclimate of the vineyard. The soil structure is similar to that ... Learn More
- A perfect, steep southern slope with soils consisting of blackish grey slate and volcanic elements, extremely rich in minerals. This legendary site is the best-rated vineyard in the entire Nahe region. The vines are up to 60 years old and give ... Learn MoreDonnhoff Hermannshohle Riesling Grosses Gewachs 2018$155.00 Per item
- The grand cru Morstein site is situated on the south-facing slope that stretches from Gundersheim to Westhofen. The subsoil consists of massive limestone rocks. The first documented mention of the site dates from 1282. Today, Wittmann owns about 4 ha (10 acres) in ... Learn More