Two concepts pivotal to the higher end French wines, in particular, are the idea of 'terroir' and the Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) system. Terroir refers to the way the geography, geology and climate find their way into the glass, telling a story of the origin of the wine. The AOC was set up in 1935 and has the primary goal of protecting the authenticity of the wines and the livelihoods of the producers. Appellation rules strictly define which varieties of grapes and winemaking practices are approved for classification in each of France's several hundred geographically defined appellations, which can cover entire regions, individual villages or in some cases, like in Burgundy even specific vineyards.
Classic wine regions in France include Champagne (home of Champagne), Burgundy (Pinot Noir and Chardonnay), Bordeaux (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Malbec, Petit Verdot), Alsace (Aromatic varietals), Loire Valley (Chenin Blanc, Crémant) and the Rhône Valley (Syrah, Grenache Mourvedre)
The Bordeaux classification of 1855 is still in use, as is the Sauternes and Barsac Classification of the same year. Wines from certain regions can be bought En Primeur, which is when the wine is sold prior to it being bottled.
- Already hugely popular in the European market, United Cellars are proud to be the sole importer of this incredibly enjoyable wine that is easy to drink but with enough complexity to keep every drinker happy. This wine is produced from ... Learn More
- With aromas of tart small red fruits and boiled sweets, and a palate that is soft, fleshy and crunchy with the tartness of fresh red berry fruit: Morello cherry, raspberry, strawberry. Enjoy within 2 years ... Learn More
- "From his base in southern Beaujolais, Pierre Chermette has become one of the beacons of Beaujolais quality…” David Schildknecht, Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate “Few Beaujolais growers are in a position to pronounce on the region’s different terroirs ... Learn MorePIERRE-MARIE CHERMETTE BEAUJOLAIS LES GRIOTTES 2019$34.99 Per item
- "From his base in southern Beaujolais, Pierre Chermette has become one of the beacons of Beaujolais quality…” David Schildknecht, Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate “Few Beaujolais growers are in a position to pronounce on the region’s different terroirs ... Learn MorePIERRE-MARIE CHERMETTE BEAUJOLAIS LES GRIOTTES 2018$34.99 Per item
- Vissoux's exemplary old vines bottling was first crafted in 1986 at the behest of Jean Brouilly, the then Michelin-starred chef of Tarare restaurant. The idea behind this wine when it was first produced was to be a counter reaction to the ... Learn MorePIERRE-MARIE CHERMETTE BEAUJOLAIS ORIGINE VIEILLES VIGNES 2017$46.99 Per item
- “18 was abundant, so there’s work to be done now as I hadn’t much to sell from the 16 and 17 vintages – so now heading to salons after having done none in the last two years! 2018 was a year without hail, ... Learn MoreDOMAINE MEE GODARD MOULIN A VENT "AU MICHELON" 2018$89.99 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout late August and early September 2020.
Across 4 weeks we will ... Learn More