Strict guidelines must be followed for a distilled brandy to be legally labelled as a Cognac by the Appellation d’origine contrôlée. Only specific grapes are allowed to be used, of which Ugni Blanc is the most common. The brandy must be distilled twice in copper pot stills and aged for a minimum of 24 months in French oak barrels from Limousis or Tronçais.
Blending is very common in Cognacs, and the age is derived from the age of the youngest grapes used in the blend. Cognacs develop and age in a similar way to Scotch Whiskies, though most Cognacs can age much longer than the legal requirement due to the time spent in the French oak barrels.
You might also like to view our wide range of Armagnacs
- The 2017 Joel Gott California Zinfandel has aromas of raspberries, blackberries and dried cranberry with notes of vanilla and spice. The wine opens with dark fruit flavors and vanilla, followed by velvety tannins on the mid-palate, and a long finish with ... Learn More
- The 2017 Mendocino County Zinfandel begins with concentrated aromas of baking spices including; cinnamon and cloves. Those spices give way to aromas of blackberries, black currants, and dried sage. The texture is round, and the fruit expression is focused and lush. ... Learn More
- The 2018 Mendocino County Zinfandel begins with concentrated aromas of baking spices including; cinnamon and cloves. Those spices give way to aromas of blackberries, black currants, and dried sage. The texture is round, and the fruit expression is focused and lush. ... Learn More
- Light Rancio in the finale ... Learn MoreDudognon Vieille Reserve 1er Cru De Cognac - 20 Years$160.00 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 4 different wines (2 half bottles and 2 full bottles) to be opened during an online tasting held on the 2nd of July 2020. During the COVID-19 lockdown, ... Learn More
- Made from the finest terroirs in Cognac –Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Petite Champagne and Fins Bois – Lot n°90's unique character comes from long ageing in oak barrels, which adds richness and complexity. Aromas of very fresh pear & quince notes ... Learn More
- Soft, delicate, sweetish nose like stone fruit. Palate shows subtle, honeyed fruit, long length of plums & prunes, showing its twenty five year age. From culture to distillation, Paul Giraud gives priority to ancestral know-how to best serve the expression of ... Learn More
- A true reflection of a forty years old Cognac. Old brandy that has remained for many years in oak barrels. Its characteristics are more assertive, with aromas of rancio, cigar box, leather and spicy fragrances. Very complex nose and palate, ... Learn MorePaul Giraud 'Tres Rare' Grande Champagne Cognac - 40 Years$399.00 Per item
- This cognac borders on perfection - finesse and complexity. Aromatic and heady that only years of aging in oak casks could give it. It exudes woody notes, dried fruit and tobacco. Very rich and generous. An extremely attractive cognac, opulent, ... Learn More
- Very old eau-de-vie aged in Limousin oak barrels, with exacerbated aromas of rancio, oxidation, aging characteristics pushed to their peak. Very long on the palate, in the end sweet and tasty. From culture to distillation, Paul Giraud gives priority to ... Learn More
- An exceptional blend of the best reserves of Grande Champagne Cognac, aged to perfection in old wood barrels. Lot 76 immediately establishes its quality at the nose: a profusion of aromas of caramelised peaches, almonds and candied fruits sublimated by a ... Learn More