Strict guidelines must be followed for a distilled brandy to be legally labelled as a Cognac by the Appellation d’origine contrôlée. Only specific grapes are allowed to be used, of which Ugni Blanc is the most common. The brandy must be distilled twice in copper pot stills and aged for a minimum of 24 months in French oak barrels from Limousis or Tronçais.
Blending is very common in Cognacs, and the age is derived from the age of the youngest grapes used in the blend. Cognacs develop and age in a similar way to Scotch Whiskies, though most Cognacs can age much longer than the legal requirement due to the time spent in the French oak barrels.
You might also like to view our wide range of Armagnacs
- An ideal style for celebrations and warm evenings, Aurelia Prosecco displays a spritzy, fine bead of bubbles and a delicate pale straw colour. It is soft on the palate with delightful pear and citrus blossom notes and a fruity, floral ... Learn More
- Ca' del Sole produces wines in keeping with the style and quality that people have become accustomed to from the traditional Prosecco region. Fruity aroma of pear, peach and white flowers closing with mineral notes. Well balanced, soft and savoury ... Learn More
- Peachy fragrance with fresh, floral aromas. Great vibrancy, texture and balance with a creamy mouth feel and notes of pear skin, nectarine and citrus. The finish is clean and crisp without being excessively dry. Fruit is sourced from a young ... Learn More
- "We are conscious that each of us, within its own limit, can give its active contribution to the battle against pollution for a cleaner tomorrow starting from today. In our vineyards we use only methods that guarantee full respect of ... Learn More
- 89% Glera and 11% Pinot Noir from vineyards on the alluvial soils of San Martino al Tagliamento near Pordenone in Fruili. Justin Bubb crafts his Prosecco rosé in the regionally traditional charmat method, and leaves the blend on lees to build further ... Learn More
- ranciacorta Brut Millesimo 2009 has been awarded the "5 Grappoli" rating by the Guida Bibenda 2016. Aroma is crisp and fresh with notes of almond and bread. It is fresh, well balanced and persistent, showing notes of dried fruit and citrus. In 1975 Enrico ... Learn More
- A fantastic selection of sparkling wines from around the world. The perfect way to celebrate Summer!... Learn MoreLight Rancio in the finale ... Learn MoreDudognon Vieille Reserve 1er Cru De Cognac - 20 Years$160.00 Per itemMade from the finest terroirs in Cognac –Grande Champagne, Petite Champagne, Petite Champagne and Fins Bois – Lot n°90's unique character comes from long ageing in oak barrels, which adds richness and complexity. Aromas of very fresh pear & quince notes ... Learn MoreSoft, delicate, sweetish nose like stone fruit. Palate shows subtle, honeyed fruit, long length of plums & prunes, showing its twenty five year age. From culture to distillation, Paul Giraud gives priority to ancestral know-how to best serve the expression of ... Learn More
This case of wine is the perfect curated pack to get you sorted for Summer! Easy drinking, crisp, dry, Summer whites, Rose and Prosecco! What else could you need? Whether it's for a picnic or just to enjoy the ... Learn MoreA true reflection of a forty years old Cognac. Old brandy that has remained for many years in oak barrels. Its characteristics are more assertive, with aromas of rancio, cigar box, leather and spicy fragrances. Very complex nose and palate, ... Learn MorePaul Giraud 'Tres Rare' Grande Champagne Cognac - 40 Years$399.00 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout May and early June 2020. During the COVID-19 lockdown, we will be ... Learn MoreThis cognac borders on perfection - finesse and complexity. Aromatic and heady that only years of aging in oak casks could give it. It exudes woody notes, dried fruit and tobacco. Very rich and generous. An extremely attractive cognac, opulent, ... Learn MoreVery old eau-de-vie aged in Limousin oak barrels, with exacerbated aromas of rancio, oxidation, aging characteristics pushed to their peak. Very long on the palate, in the end sweet and tasty. From culture to distillation, Paul Giraud gives priority to ... Learn MoreAn exceptional blend of the best reserves of Grande Champagne Cognac, aged to perfection in old wood barrels. Lot 76 immediately establishes its quality at the nose: a profusion of aromas of caramelised peaches, almonds and candied fruits sublimated by a ... Learn More