Chardonnay first came to Australia in the 1920s but didn’t find popularity until the 1970s. Grown all across the country the cool climate versions (like found in the Yarra Valley and Tasmania) tend to be lighter in body with higher acidity and more subtle flavours. Warm climate versions (found in Margaret River, Hunter Valley and the Adelaide Hills) tend to be more full-bodied with richer, riper fruit and bolder flavours.
Italy has some of the oldest wine production methods in the world and almost every part of the country is planted under vine. From the Alps in the north to the very southernmost parts of Sicily where Africa is almost in sight, wine is successfully cultivated. In addition to the latitude covered, Italy's many mountains and hills provide a plethora of altitudes for grape growing in various soils and micro-climates. The extensive coastlines along the peninsula that is Italy provide maritime climates for the coastal wine-growing areas. Over 350 grape varieties are 'authorised' in Italy, though up to 550 varieties are thought to be grown.
The classification system of Italian wines has four classes, with the intention of defining a wine's origin a quality. Two of these classes are table wines, whilst DOC and DOCG fall under the EU quality wine produced in a specific region category. Vino da Tavola (VDT) means that the wine comes from Italy. Most of these wines are generally basic table wines that are consumed domestically. Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT) denotes a more specific region within Italy, and the resultant will be of higher quality than simple table wines, but won't conform to the rules required for higher certification. Both Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) and Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) are regionally more specific than IGT, and have stricter rules regarding the grape varieties grown, yields per hectare, minimum alcohol levels and so on. The major difference between DOC and DOCG is that the latter has to undergo a blind-tasting session to ensure the highest quality is achieved. Italy has 32 DOCG appelations, 311 DOC appelations and 120 IGT zones.
Key regions include Piedmont, Tuscany, Abruzzo, Veneto, Sicily and Sardinia. Common white varieties grown are Pinot Grigio, Arneis, Vermentino, Verdicchio, Fiano and Moscato. The red varieties grown the most are Sangiovese, Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Montepulciano, Primitivo, Nero d'Avola and Corvina.
- Poggio Anima is a collection of wines representing four Italian regions typifying the cultural heartbeat of each area. Poggio Anima, translated as ‘Hill of Soul,’ personifies the individual vineyards cultivated for each bottle. Many wines have vitality and a soul ... Learn More
- Nose: Intense aromas, elegant and harmonious with notes of white peach, flowers, butter and a hint of wood. Palate: Fine aromas, soft acidity, and a nice soft long finish. Tasting Notes: Pleasant white wine with intense aromas, elegant and harmonious ... Learn MoreTenuta Cucco Serralunga Langhe DOC Chardonnay 2019$50.00 Per item
- The wine which has become an image of the change in Sicilian wine. It arrived from the wish for success in competing with the world in the production of this noble and widespread grape. Following a long process beginning in 1985, ... Learn More
- Awarded 94 points by Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. The wine which has become an image of the change in Sicilian wine. It arrived from the wish for success in competing with the world in the production of this noble and widespread ... Learn More
- In 1987, Paolo De Marchi grafted Chardonnay onto existing vines on the Isole e Olena estate. Since then they have produced some of Tuscany’s finest Chardonnay. An inviting golden colour with perfumes of toasted, buttery almonds. An inviting golden colour. ... Learn MoreIsole E Olena Chardonnay Collezione Privata Igt 2018$89.00 Per item
- In 1987, Paolo De Marchi grafted Chardonnay onto existing vines on the Isole e Olena estate. Since then they have produced some of Tuscany’s finest Chardonnay. An inviting golden colour with perfumes of toasted, buttery almonds. An inviting golden colour. ... Learn MoreIsole E Olena Chardonnay Collezione Privata Igt 2017$94.99 Per item
Natural, organics, biodynamics, minimal-intervention, sustainability, these are just some of the current buzz-words in the wine world that most people will have heard or seen at one point or another. So what exactly are natural wines? Join this tasting ... Learn More
- The 2019 Cervaro della Sala is a luminous straw yellow in colour streaked with occasional greenish highlights. The nose shows light toasted notes accompanied by aromas of citrus fruit, tropical fruit, and hints of butter. The palate is notably savoury and ... Learn More
We need to clear some space in the warehouse! As the Christmas rush approaches we are needing to make room and there are a few Bin End wines that need to find a good home! Nothing wrong with the ... Learn More
This case of wine is the perfect curated pack to get you sorted for Summer! Easy drinking, crisp, dry, Summer whites, Rose and Prosecco! What else could you need? Whether it's for a picnic or just to enjoy the ... Learn More