Chardonnay, Champagne, France
Chardonnay first came to Australia in the 1920s but didn’t find popularity until the 1970s. Grown all across the country the cool climate versions (like found in the Yarra Valley and Tasmania) tend to be lighter in body with higher acidity and more subtle flavours. Warm climate versions (found in Margaret River, Hunter Valley and the Adelaide Hills) tend to be more full-bodied with richer, riper fruit and bolder flavours.
Champagne is a wine region to the north-east of Paris where wine has been grown since the Romans first planted in the 5th century and the region is most well known for the Sparkling wine that goes by the regions name.
Champagne is made from 3 grapes. The two red grapes Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and the white grape Chardonnay. All three are commonly blended though a ‘blanc de blanc’ meaning ‘white from white’ indicates that only Chardonnay was used. Conversely a ‘blanc de noir’ or ‘white from black’ indicates that the two red grapes were used.
A common misconception is that Champagne was invented by Dom Pérignon. Although this is not the case, he made considerable contributions to the quality and production methods used in the region. The very first bottles of Champagne were created by accident, and coined ‘the devil’s wine’ for all the popping corks. Sparkling wine in Australia was referred to as Champagne but this practise has long been disallowed.
Methode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced and if you see Millisime on a bottle, it represents the fact that the wine comes from a particular vintage rather than being blended, which is the more common practice.
Icons such as Dom Pérignon and Krug are world renowned, but we find as much pleasure in the smaller Champagne houses such as Gosset and Jacquinot. Magnums are perfect for the festive occasions and half bottles are also available.
- Awarded best Champagne producer at the 2015 International Wine & Spirits Competition The Le Brun family live by the village of Bethon in the Marne. The memory of Madame Le Brun, who owned the castle in 1845, is still alive today. The house ... Learn More
- 100% Chardonnay Grand Cru fruit sourced from the "White Hillside" Vineyards of the Autreau Estate. The family Autreau is an old family from Champillon - ancient documents certify their presence since 1670. This family is linked to the farming of the land ... Learn More
- 100 per cent Chardonnay from the terroirs of Chavot, Vaudancourt, Voipreux 1er Cru and Epernay - all biodynamically farmed. Exuberant with lots of spicy white peach fruit, lemon pith and brown spice. The palate is crunchy and chalky with a delicious ... Learn More
- The bottles of Blanc de Blancs remain for a period of 3-5 years in the calm and dark of the Henriot caves in Reims. Pure, concentrated and expressive, with floral (honeysuckle, orange flower, linden), fruity (lemon, dried apricot, almond) and ... Learn More
- Lightly cooked apples and pears with spice and chalk. Grilled toast. Full-bodied. Creamy and soft texture with pretty acidity coming out. Light almonds at the end. - James Suckling Dry and toasty, this has good cut and a light chalkiness ... Learn More
- "The Larmandier-Bernier Champagnes are some of the purest and most utterly engaging wines being made in the region today. I can't recommend them highly enough." - Antonio Galloni. "Bready, complex, mature bouquet, but bright and fresh as well. Very rich, ... Learn More
A mix of 3 great value and delicious wines that will be the perfect gift to get any Christmas party started! Showcasing wines from some of the best wine regions in the world, this is sure to make any true ... Learn More
During the lead up to Christmas 2020, we're aware that things won't quite be the same as they have been in previous years (let's be honest- what isn't different this year!). Many restaurants and bars have tight restrictions on the ... Learn More
- "Delamotte has always been somewhat of an insider’s house, producing high quality at realistic prices. One of the best buys in exquisitely crafted Champagne." - Robert Parker Jr, The Wine Advocate Herbal with hints of jasmine, white peach, mint, ... Learn More
- Blanc de blancs from Bouzy? Yes--and what a blanc de blancs it is! This single-varietal, single-vineyard, single-harvest Champagne comes entirely from the Les Motellettes parcel which was planted in 1961. Quentin Paillard, his brother and his father all wanted to make ... Learn MorePierre Paillard Bouzy Grand Cru Bdb 'Mottelettes' 2013$135.00 Per item
- Champagne Gosset is the oldest wine house in Champagne. This Blanc de Blancs is both mineral and floral, with aromas of flowers mixed with white fruits, apricot and Mirabelle plum. There are very light notes of lemon and other citrus ... Learn More
- A blend of 50% Chardonnay and 50% Pinot Noir. Produced only when the harvest is of exceptional quality. The nose offers a mellow fruitiness with white and yellow fleshed fruit such as William pear, greengages and mirabelle plums. This is followed by ... Learn More
- A pioneer in the champagne trade, the Ruinart House has stood out due to its unique know-how and history. At first very intense on the nose, with fresh fruit notes, particularly ripe citrus fruits. A second refined floral nose with ... Learn More
- A striking biodynamic Champagne of outstanding value. The wine spends four years on lees and is disgorged as required. Resulting in a creamy-textured Champagne that shows tons of energy and finesse. The aromatics emerge with time, rounding out this compelling ... Learn More
- The Blanc de Noirs is pure with lots of complexity, fine and racy. The Blanc de Noirs is a 100% Pinot Noir from a single vineyard of 0.8 acres called “Les Maillerettes”. It was planted in 1970. This wine has been crafted single ... Learn More
- Charles Heidsieck was one of the very first Champagne Houses to demonstrate its passion for Chardonnay by producing a Blanc de Blancs in its 1949 vintage. There is also evidence that the Maison had produced some mono-crus from the Côte ... Learn More
- The Grand Cru La Grande Récolte 2008 is tense, sophisticated and very complex. At Champagne Pierre Paillard, Benoit and his sons Antoine and Quentin are custodians of an eight generation family business; passionately crafting Champagne with extreme finesse. Their 10 hectares ... Learn More
- With a history of more than 250 years, Delamotte is the 5th oldest champagne house in the world. Since 1988 it became the sister house to the legendary Salon estate under the Laurent-Pierrer group. Like Salon, Delamotte is a chardonnay specialist. Whilst ... Learn More
A mix of 3 exceptional wines that will be the perfect gift for even the hardest person to find something for! Showcasing wines from some of the best wine regions in the world, this is sure to make any true ... Learn More
- Minéral is blended from two adjacent vieilles vignes plots (50+ years old) of similar, chalky, Grand Cru soils on the border between Avize and Cramant. The fruit from Le Champ Boutons in Avize is fermented in tank, while the component ... Learn MoreAgrapart Mineral Extra Brut Blanc De Blancs Grand Cru 2012$250.00 Per item
- Taittinger's prestigious Comtes de Champagne is composed entirely of Chardonnay grapes from the Grand Cru villages of Avize, Chouilly, Cramant, Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger (Côte des Blancs). The citrus-golden colored 2007 Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs is the fourth in ... Learn MoreTaittinger 'Comtes De Champagne' Blanc De Blancs 2007$399.00 Per item
- Taittinger's prestigious Comtes de Champagne is composed entirely of Chardonnay grapes from the Grand Cru villages of Avize, Chouilly, Cramant, Mesnil-sur-Oger and Oger (Côte des Blancs). The citrus-golden colored 2007 Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs is the fourth in ... Learn MoreTaittinger 'Comtes De Champagne' Blanc De Blancs 2008$440.00 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout late August and early September 2020.
Across 4 weeks we will ... Learn More
- 98 points - Wine Enthusiast Clean and lively on the attack, the wine’s intense freshness and minerality deliver on its aromatic promise – an impressive nose with notes of minerals, gunflint, stones, smoked tea, just a touch of mint. Redolent of ... Learn More
- 99 points - Wine Enthusiast. Salon 2007 is immediately appealing with its pale shades, cool blonde tones glistening with lemon and green. The bubbles are fine, quick, the very essence of Salon 2007. In the glass, aromas of lemon, lime, yuzu, then green ... Learn More
- 100 points Wine Enthusiast! Notes of white flowers, citrus zest, lightly toasted brioche. Then the glass fills with autumnal tones, fresh hazelnuts, praline, dried apricot, ripe yellow fruits. A romantic of the highest order, Salon 2006 embodies the carefree spirit of youth, ... Learn More
- Ace of Spades is a highly regarded label that is almost impossible to find ... Learn MoreArmand De Brignac Silver 'Ace Of Spades' Blanc De Blancs Nv$1,399.99 Per item
- Salon - the original Blanc de Blancs Champagne, the pioneer and icon of a style for all time. An exercise in precision, Salon is as uncompromising as it is enthralling. The legacy and achievement of one man, the idiosyncratic Eugè ... Learn More