Champagne is made from 3 grapes. The two red grapes Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and the white grape Chardonnay. All three are commonly blended though a ‘blanc de blanc’ meaning ‘white from white’ indicates that only Chardonnay was used. Conversely a ‘blanc de noir’ or ‘white from black’ indicates that the two red grapes were used.
A common misconception is that Champagne was invented by Dom Pérignon. Although this is not the case, he made considerable contributions to the quality and production methods used in the region. The very first bottles of Champagne were created by accident, and coined ‘the devil’s wine’ for all the popping corks. Sparkling wine in Australia was referred to as Champagne but this practise has long been disallowed.
Methode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced and if you see Millisime on a bottle, it represents the fact that the wine comes from a particular vintage rather than being blended, which is the more common practice.
Icons such as Dom Pérignon and Krug are world renowned, but we find as much pleasure in the smaller Champagne houses such as Gosset and Jacquinot. Magnums are perfect for the festive occasions and half bottles are also available.
- Made from 40% Pinot Noir, 40% Pinot Meuneir & 20% Chardonnay from Premier Cru vineyards, and aged for two years in bottle before release. Deep aromas of fresh fruits and hint of nuts. The taste is full bodied and rich with fruit though elegant ... Learn More
- 100% Premier Cru fruit. 85% Chardonnay lends an elegant floral character as well as grapefruit and melon, but the 15% Pinot Noir (blended as red wine) gives the ruby red colour and adds flavours of red berries and a savoury complexity. The family ... Learn More
- 100% Grand Cru fruit. Pinot Noir & Chardonnay blend. The nose is a combination of ripe citrus fruits with a buttery overtone and flowery finish. The flavours are fresh and vibrant, of peaches, melons and raspberry with light hazelnut nuance adding depth ... Learn More
- 100% Chardonnay Grand Cru fruit sourced from the "White Hillside" Vineyards of the Autreau Estate. The family Autreau is an old family from Champillon - ancient documents certify their presence since 1670. This family is linked to the farming of the land ... Learn More
- 100% Grand Cru fruit from the villages of Chouilly and Ay. Only produced in exceptional years, of which 2014 was most definitely one. Chardonnay dominant, showing gorgeous white flowers, green apple and sweet caramel popcorn. A small percent of Pinot Noir adds ... Learn MoreChampagne Autreau Brut Reserve Grand Cru Vintage 2014$99.99 Per item
- 100% Grand Cru fruit from the villages of Chouilly and Ay. Only produced in exceptional years, of which 2013 was most definitely one. Chardonnay dominant, showing gorgeous white flowers, green apple and sweet caramel popcorn. A small percent of Pinot Noir adds ... Learn More
- 100% Grand Cru fruit from the villages of Chouilly and Ay. The ultimate expression of the finest this family can produce, this is a hand-selection of the very finest cuvees from the vintage. Only produced in the most exceptional years, of ... Learn MoreChampagne Autreau 'Cuvee 1670' Grand Cru Vintage 2012$149.99 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
Wine education made fun and entertaining, let's explore some new and classic bubbles together just in time for the festive season.
Join us for the ultimate Christmas debate, ... Learn More