Champagne is made from 3 grapes. The two red grapes Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier and the white grape Chardonnay. All three are commonly blended though a ‘blanc de blanc’ meaning ‘white from white’ indicates that only Chardonnay was used. Conversely a ‘blanc de noir’ or ‘white from black’ indicates that the two red grapes were used.
A common misconception is that Champagne was invented by Dom Pérignon. Although this is not the case, he made considerable contributions to the quality and production methods used in the region. The very first bottles of Champagne were created by accident, and coined ‘the devil’s wine’ for all the popping corks. Sparkling wine in Australia was referred to as Champagne but this practise has long been disallowed.
Methode Champenoise is the traditional method by which Champagne is produced and if you see Millisime on a bottle, it represents the fact that the wine comes from a particular vintage rather than being blended, which is the more common practice.
Icons such as Dom Pérignon and Krug are world renowned, but we find as much pleasure in the smaller Champagne houses such as Gosset and Jacquinot. Magnums are perfect for the festive occasions and half bottles are also available.
- Only the juices from first pressing – the cuvées - are used. Nose of freshly pressed black grapes, of red, white and citrus fruits. Ample palate with flesh of vineyard peach and bouquet of aromatic herbs. Small spicy notes in ... Learn More
- Jean-Manuel Jacquinot obtained a degree in Oenology at the esteemed University of Reims. After this he became trainee oenologist at the world famous house of Veuve Clicquot. Today, Jean-Manuel has over 20 years of experience in making Champagne, is a Member ... Learn MoreChampagne Jacquinot 'Private Cuvee' Brut Nv (Magnum)$149.99 Per item
- The nose is built on flavours of candied fruits, vanilla and toast. The trains of fine bubbles form a delicate mousse, this richness is confirmed on the palate with a long and oaky finish. 60% Chardonnay and 40% Pinot Noir, Serve at 8 ... Learn MoreChampagne Jacquinot 'Symphonie Millesime' 2009 (Magnum)$199.00 Per item
- Won "Grappe d'Or" in Guide Hachette (Top French Awards) - Best Wine of the year Tasted against 36,000 other wines. A complex, creamy, layered nose with icing sugar life. The palate has beautiful complexity and mouthwatering length, with flavours of biscuit ... Learn MoreGosset 'Grand Reserve' Brut Mv Champagne (Magnum 1.5L)$270.00 Per item
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout late August and early September 2020.
Across 4 weeks we will ... Learn More
- Long-time Chef de Caves Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon has produced yet another in a string of superb Champagnes with the 2007 Cristal. Rich, powerful and enveloping, the 2007 takes hold of all the senses and never lets up. The aromatics alone are captivating, ... Learn More