Poggio Dei Principi Pinot Grigio 2018
1 or more bottles$19.99
Mark Faber93 points
Light (Light)Full (Full)
Low Tannin (Low Tannin)Tannic (Tannic)
Sweet (Sweet)Dry (Dry)
Low Acidity (Low Acidity)High Acidity (High Acidity)
- Green Apple
- Lemon Zest
Critic Scores & reviews
"A perfect harmony between classic stony, waxy, savoury elements and more modern clean, young pear and green apple flavours. Crisp, fresh, imminently drinkable wine that is exceptional value for money."
Love this wine? Here's a list of other vintages we have in stock if you'd like to try them as well.
There are no other vintages found.
All current auctions for this wine & any different vintages.
Italy has some of the oldest wine production methods in the world and almost every part of the country is planted under vine. From the Alps in the north to the very southernmost parts of Sicily where Africa is almost in sight, wine is successfully cultivated. In addition to the latitude covered, Italy's many mountains and hills provide a plethora of altitudes for grape growing in various soils and micro-climates. The extensive coastlines along the peninsula that is Italy provide maritime climates for the coastal wine-growing areas. Over 350 grape varieties are 'authorised' in Italy, though up to 550 varieties are thought to be grown.
The classification system of Italian wines has four classes, with the intention of defining a wine's origin a quality. Two of these classes are table wines, whilst DOC and DOCG fall under the EU quality wine produced in a specific region category. Vino da Tavola (VDT) means that the wine comes from Italy. Most of these wines are generally basic table wines that are consumed domestically. Indicazione Geografica Tipica (IGT) denotes a more specific region within Italy, and the resultant will be of higher quality than simple table wines, but won't conform to the rules required for higher certification. Both Denominazione di Origine Controllata (DOC) and Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita (DOCG) are regionally more specific than IGT, and have stricter rules regarding the grape varieties grown, yields per hectare, minimum alcohol levels and so on. The major difference between DOC and DOCG is that the latter has to undergo a blind-tasting session to ensure the highest quality is achieved. Italy has 32 DOCG appelations, 311 DOC appelations and 120 IGT zones.
Key regions include Piedmont, Tuscany, Abruzzo, Veneto, Sicily and Sardinia. Common white varieties grown are Pinot Grigio, Arneis, Vermentino, Verdicchio, Fiano and Moscato. The red varieties grown the most are Sangiovese, Barbera, Dolcetto, Nebbiolo, Montepulciano, Primitivo, Nero d'Avola and Corvina.
Friuli-Venezia Giulia is a picturesque region located in the northeastern part of Italy, and it is renowned for its exceptional wine production. In fact, it is considered one of the best regions in the country for winemaking, alongside Tuscany and Piedmont. This region boasts an impressive 11 DOC (Denominazione di Origine Controllata) and 3 DOCG (Denominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita) designations, accounting for approximately 62% of the wine produced.
One of the key factors contributing to the region's success is its ideal geographical location. The best vineyards are nestled in the foothills of the Alps, offering a unique combination of direct sunlight and cool evening breezes from the nearby Adriatic Sea. The soil composition in the area is rich in calcium and sandstone, with intermittent patches of sand and gravel, which makes it perfect for growing a variety of grapes.
White wine production accounts for around 60% of the region's output, while red wine accounts for the remaining 40%. The most famous grape variety grown in the area is Friulano, which produces crisp, floral whites that are known for their great ageing potential. Merlot is the leading grape variety for red wine production.
Friuli-Venezia Giulia is a wine lover's paradise, offering a wide range of high-quality wines. Its unique geographical location, coupled with a rich soil composition and expert winemaking techniques, ensures that the region's wine production will continue to thrive for years to come.
Recommended For You
Life is short … so you should savour every sip. That’s why we’ve specifically curated these wines and spirits, especially for you based on your profile, preferences, and past purchases. Enjoy!
Pairs Well With
Whether it's a decadent cheese, mouth-watering red meat, perfectly cooked poultry, succulent seafood, or a vegetarian feast, for every wine or spirit you choose from us, we provide you with a number of helpful suggestions for what will pair deliciously with your purchase.