There are flavours present in great Burgundys that are the envy of Pinot Noir producers worldwide. The elusive peacocks tail finish that goes on and on, and the pretty-elegance backed by Burgundy muscle is the goal of winemakers around the globe. The main levels in the Burgundy classifications, in descending order of quality, are: Grand crus, Premier crus, village appellations, and finally regional appellations. For the Chablis wines, a similar hierarchy of Grand Cru, Premier Cru and Village wines is used, plus Petit Chablis as a level below Village Chablis.
Nelson is nestled on the top end of the South Island, two hours to the west of its famous neighbour Marlborough. The wineries are mostly located on the plains, southwest of the town of Nelson, and up on the hills of Upper Moutere.
The region receives a lot more rain than its neighbour Marlborough, however also receives enough sunshine to balance out the rainfall. Nelson’s northern exposure gives it more second highest total hours of sunshine in the whole country. The soil structure tends to clay loams over hard clay subsoils.
Heavier reds like Cabernet Sauvignon don’t do so well in Nelson, where lighter reds like Pinot Noir and even Montepulciano have had more success. In the whites, Chardonnay of very high quality is being produced, with lesser amounts of Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Chenin Blanc are also cultivated.
Although it is one of the smaller wine regions, the fact that you can visit most of the wineries in a single day is a bonus!
Items 1-40 of 232
- Produced from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes sourced from high density vineyard blocks of significant vine age up to 40 years. Fine and delicate in style, with aromas of strawberry, citrus, hazelnut and honeysuckle. The palate is quite dry with a ... Learn More
- Maison Veuve Ambal was founded in the heart of Burgundy in 1898 by Veuve Marie Ambal, widow of a Parisian banker. The wines immediately gained recognition, and her grandson Charles Roux Ambal, followed by his grandson and current President Eric Piffaut, ... Learn More
- Made from 100% Chardonnay grapes. The house was founded in 1898 in the esteemed Burgundy region of northern France, where their wines gained immediate and long-lasting success. Today the 6th generation of the family leads the winery, producing elegant sparkling Cremant for ... Learn More
- Very elegant organic Pinot Noir in the Burgundian style. Red fruits meet pretty rose aromas and hints of earthy spices. Full of freshness, elegance & finesse, this wine is long, balanced and exhibits real Pinot Noir typicity - red cherry fruit ... Learn More
- Château de Lachassagne is an exceptional place, located in the very south of Burgundy, with a unique view over the Saône Valley. It is a 62 hectares propriety, totally surrounded by small walls called ’"Clos". A bright, elegant expression ... Learn More
- Château de Lachassagne is an exceptional place, located in the very south of Burgundy, with a unique view over the Saône Valley. It is a 62 hectares propriety, totally surrounded by small walls called ’"Clos". A clean, pure expression ... Learn More
- The vineyard was able to replenish its water reserves thanks to a particularly wet, warm January. The vegetative cycle was delayed by a few days, however. February brought much cooler weather, and March, more rain. Budburst happened in the middle ... Learn More
- Consistently excellent year after year, the 2019 Chablis is again, despite the warm year, a crisp, incisive and very pure wine graced with good energy and grip in its bright fruit and long, elegant finish. After time in the glass, the ... Learn More
- In the heart of Chablis, in Burgundy, Louis Moreau produces and sells exceptional wines, worldwide recognized. Planted 100% with Chardonnay grape variety, on the unique terroir of Chablis the vines of Domaines Louis Moreau are spread over the 4 levels of the ... Learn More
- Domaine Rougeot has a long history of making superb white wines out of the famed village of Meursault. The Rougeot-Dupin label is a venture that started in 1990 in order to diversify the family range. The wines are made from purchased ... Learn More
- Sourced from vines with an average age of 40 years. Matured for 10 months in 10% new French oak. Aroma; immediately pretty and classically white burgundy- red apple, white flowers, nectarine and citrus. Palate; Again very classically white Burgundy- elegantly mineral with some ... Learn More
- Very fresh bouquet with notes of citrus and white fleshed-fruit. Fresh and supple, the wine is marked by mineral notes that are typical of the appellation. One of the greatest domaines in Chablis. Founded by William Fevre in 1957, its vineyard ... Learn More
- Domaine Chavy Chouet Bourgogne Blanc 'Les Femelottes' 2018$54.99 Per item
- Subtle, harmonious, supple—Burgundy from Domaine Anne Gros is intimately tied with the elegant and poised character of wines from Vosne-Romanée. Expressive from the get go. It is Pinot personified. The nose was light to medium with medium blueberry ... Learn More
- This cuvee comes from a blend between some wine from 60 % Maconnais in the area of Lugny and 40% Montagny in the cote Chalonnaise. This two soils give each one something different: The wines from Lugny with the limestone give some freshness ... Learn More
- This delicious Mâcon-Villages is the consequence of Barney's collaboration with Jane Eyre, the talented Australian-in-Burgundy vigneronne making wine at Domaine Newman and under her own label in the Côte-d'Or. The first release is drawn from a 30-50 year ... Learn More
- Vergisson is home to a number of excellent, limestone-rich vineyards and this idyllic, high-altitude site, on the softer incline of the rock, is one of her finest. Aside from its ability to make stunning Chardonnay with more cut than Sweeney ... Learn More
- The first release of Untouched, a wine that has had no intervention except picking, pressing and bottling. Left to become wine with no additions. A vibrant nose with aromas of cherries, earth and florals. The nose transfers to the palate ... Learn More
- 40+ years old vines. Aged 100% in stainless steel. Comes mostly from very old vines situated in Les Pargues on the hill located between the premier cru sites of Montee de Tonnerre and Vaillons. This terroir has historically always been very highly ... Learn More
- This wine can be enjoyed within 2 years. Their bouquet displays a dominance of mineral notes, which are often associated with delicate touches of citrus fruit (lemon and grapefruit). It's a ripe, poised and vibrantly fresh Chablis with juicy nectarine, mixed ... Learn More
- From an exceedingly satisfying vintage, a pinot that offers immediate contentment upon tasting. Aligning a multitude of flowers, early season plums and pomegrante with a fluid texture on the palate. Acidity is nonaggressive, owing to the vintages voluptuousness. An ideal ... Learn More
- “The quality here is again so good that I’m tempted to say that Chablis has yet another leading light to add to the usual stars of Raveneau and Dauvissat.” — Burghound. One of the oldest and most respected names in ... Learn More
- Moillard is a historic Burgundian négociant house located in the Côte d'Or. Savigny-lès-Beaune is a large village in the Côte de Beaune sub-region of Burgundy, nestled between the hillsides of a sub-valley in the Côte ... Learn More
- "The disarmingly modest Thierry Glantenay is emerging as one of the Côte de Beaune's most exciting producers of red wine." -William Kelley, The Wine Advocate Perhaps the Glantenays are not well known because not much was bottled and sold ... Learn More
- The wines from David Moreau are incredibly stylish and fine with glowing colour and gorgeous flavours. Aromas of cherry, strawberry and raspberry with some hints of floral, herb and spice. The palate shows excellent juiciness, but is also elegant. It ... Learn MoreDavid Moreau Cote De Beaune Village Pinot Noir 2017$69.99 Per item
- There has been a sorting table at the family winery since 2008, after which the grapes are destemmed but not crushed. The grapes are given a short cool maceration, then fermented with more pumping over than punching down, with the juice ... Learn MoreDomaine Af Gros Bourgogne Hautes Cotes De Nuits 2016$69.99 Per item
During the lead up to Christmas 2020, we're aware that things won't quite be the same as they have been in previous years (let's be honest- what isn't different this year!). Many restaurants and bars have tight restrictions on the ... Learn More
- ‘Fourchaume’ is one of the most reputed Premier Crus of Chablis. The slope is a progression of the same one on which the Grand Crus are based. It benefits from the same exposure (to the South-West), which allows it to ... Learn More
- Henri Boillot described 2017 as an “excellent vintage and potentially even a great one in white and a very good one in red provided that yields were kept reasonable, something not everyone respected. We chose to begin picking on the 25th ... Learn More
- Since vintage 2010, this cuvée is an assemblage of different terroirs located in the Côte d'Or - 1/3 comes from the vineyards of an estate in the Burgundy appellation located in the commune of Nuits-Saint Georges on argilo-silty soil - 2/3 ... Learn MoreThibault Liger-Belair Bourgogne Les Grands Chaillots 2017$75.00 Per item
- “The sashimi of Chablis - pure, clean, elemental. Never any oak, this is as energetic and pure as Chablis can get. The wines are steely and bright when young, but age gorgeously for years and decades. The holdings are phenomenal, ... Learn More
- 5 Stars/REMARKABLE - Les meilleurs Vins de France , Gault & Millau. The nose has a tightly wound, slightly chalky bouquet with hints of musk developing in the glass. The palate is well balanced with a satisfying sense of volume and precision, ... Learn More
A mix of 3 great value and delicious wines that will be the perfect gift to get any Christmas party started! Showcasing wines from some of the best wine regions in the world, this is sure to make any true ... Learn More