Auckland, Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Most of the wineries are around 45 minutes drive from the city of Auckland, so the region is popular for day trippers. Auckland’s climate in general isn't ideally suited to grape cultivation, but small pockets or sub-regions exist where micro-climates can produce some world-class wines. The region typically gets enough sunshine for the harvest, but rain is the constant threat, especially in spring and summer.
The red varieties that work the best in the region are the Bordeaux styled varieties made from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec and also the non-Bordeaux Syrah. Most notable of the whites grown in the region is Chardonnay, for which Kumeu River is very highly regarded.
The north-eastern Italian region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia ranks with Tuscany and Piedmont in terms of quality of output. Nearly 62% of the wine produced in the region falls under a DOC designation - there are 11 DOC and 3 DOCG regions.
The best vineyards in the region are in the foothills of the Alps, facing south to receive direct sunlight and cool evening breezes blowing off the Adriatic. The soil is rich in calcium and sandstone, with patches of sand and gravel.
The region's output is about 60% white and 40% red. Friulano is the most famous variety, known for creating crisp, floral whites with great ageing potential, and Merlot is the leading red wine grape. There has also been a revival of orange wine in the region of the past decade.
- This outstanding Pinot Grigio has fantastic definition of pure fruit flavours and a wonderfully rounded balance. High altitude vineyards, small yields and dedicated winemaking by this fantastic cooperative combine to produce a wine that is fresh, versatile and enjoyable. Exceptional ... Learn More
- Kumeu River Chardonnay is drawn from six different vineyard sites in the Kumeu Region. Particularly care is taken in selecting only the very best grapes from these vineyards for the Kumeu River Estate label. Shows lovely stone fruits, creamed nuts, ... Learn More
- From a single vineyard high above the Tagliamento river, it’s pinot grigio, pure and direct. A fresh nose of subtle stone fruit, spice and a hint of musk. Pure and beautifully layered with flavours of nashi pear and apples. ... Learn More
- Peachy fragrance with fresh, floral aromas. Great vibrancy, texture and balance with a creamy mouth feel and notes of pear skin, nectarine and citrus. The finish is clean and crisp without being excessively dry. Fruit is sourced from a young ... Learn More
- "We are conscious that each of us, within its own limit, can give its active contribution to the battle against pollution for a cleaner tomorrow starting from today. In our vineyards we use only methods that guarantee full respect of ... Learn More
- Classic Italian Pinot Grigio - our best selling imported white wine. Made by the brilliant Cescon family - 3rd generation winemakers based just outside of Venice (this wine is sourced from their vineyard in Friuli- the home of Pinot Grigio). ... Learn MoreCESCON 'VINO DELLAMICIZIA' FRIULI DOC PINOT GRIGIO 2019$28.00 Per item
- Kumeu River, northwest of Auckland is without a doubt NZ’s finest chardonnay producer. Master of Wine and winemaker Michael Brajkovich has been crafting fine chardonnay at the estate since the 1980’s. Hand picked fruit and vigorous selection from the ... Learn More
**THIS ONLINE TASTING IS OVER**
This pack contains a bottle of 12 different wines to be opened during a series of 4 online tastings held throughout May and early June 2020. During the COVID-19 lockdown, we will be ... Learn More